Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Skinny Queso Dip

I love Mexican food and must say that it is probably one of my favorite types of food.  I absolutely love queso but I know its awful with all of that processed cheese.  I have been searching for recipes for a while and finally saw one that I could tweak and make my own.  It was DELICIOUS.  It is so much better for you then the jarred version.... in weight watchers its 1 point for 1/4 cup (which is a lot of queso.) I will be making this again for sure!  This was the perfect amount of spiciness as well, if you like it really hot leave the seeds in your peppers!

Ingredients

  • 1 jalapeno pepper diced (I removed the seeds because I didn't want mine super spicy)
  • 1habenero pepper diced (I also removed the seeds from this pepper)
  • 1 medium onion diced
  • 1 1/4 cup of non-fat milk
  • Cooking Spray
  • 1/2 cup low fat no sodium chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 1 bag of reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 1 tablespoon of chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin powder
Directions

  1. In a bowl mix together 1/4 of milk and your cornstarch.  Mix well until all cornstarch is dissolved...set aside.
  2. In a large pot over medium high heat, add your peppers and onion, spray with cooking spray
  3. Cook your vegetables for 6-10 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften
  4. Add the rest of your milk and chicken broth, and let simmer.
  5. Once it begins to simmer, let simmer for 3 minutes.
  6. Add you cornstarch mixture and let the mixture thicken (this takes no more then 1 minute)
  7. Once thickened turn your heat to low and add your chili powder, cumin, diced tomatoes and cheese
  8. Continue to mix until cheese is completely melted.
  9. Enjoy
Final Product

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love anyones feed back!!