Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Vegetarian Stuffed Cabbage

I know it has been a little since I posted but I recently started a full time job so I am getting used to working all the time and having time to cook.  This weekend I went home which means I got to cook with my mom.  My mom and me have very similar tastes and it is great to come home and cook.  My mom found this recipe for stuffed cabbage and it was vegetarian.  Growing up we always had stuffed cabbage so we were really excited to try this recipe.  I have to say that I like this BETTER than the traditional meat filled cabbage.

Ingredients

  • 1 carton of button mushrooms chopped finely
  • 1 cup diced zucchini copped finely
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
  • 3/4 cup finely chopped red pepper 
  • 1 cup vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup Bulgar
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
  • 1/2 teaspoon thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 large cabbage
  • 6 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
  • 2 teaspoons of lemon juice
  • 1 can tomato sauce
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Cook cabbage in a large pot filled with boiling water.  Continue to cook the cabbage till leaves begin to fall off.  Remove 8 leaves and set aside.
  3. In a large pan combine your first 10 ingredients and bring to a boil.  Once boiling let simmer for 5 minutes and set aside to let cool.
  4. Cut the thick vein in the cabbage in a v shape and set aside.
  5. Stir 4 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese and your lemon juice into your vegetable mixture.
  6. Place half of your tomato sauce on the bottom of baking dish.
  7. Place a heaping amount of mixture in the middle of the cabbage.
  8. Fold sides of cabbage over and roll cabbage to filling is enclosed and place in casserole dish.
  9. Place the rest of your sauce on top of the rolled cabbage (we added more sauce to the top of the cabbage)
  10. Bake for 15 minutes and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Final Product

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love anyones feed back!!