Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole

I have to start off by saying, this meal is probably one of my all time favorite meals EVER.  When I was growing up my mom would make this special for me on my birthdays, and I have never had anything like it after that.  I never tried to make it before because I thought there was no way I could make it taste like hers.  The one day I was nice enough to share my leftovers with a friend, and he loved it just as much as I did.  The other night this friend was coming over, and I thought what better time to try this recipe then now.  I got the recipe from my mom and it turned out PERFECT.  We were thrilled (not so thrilled there was not a lot leftover!) 

Ingredients

  • 3 cups of cooked and diced chicken (about 1.5 pounds)
  • 4 cups of diced ham
  • 2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • Season salt to taste
Sauce

  • 4 tablespoons of butter
  • 4 tablespoons of flour
  • 3 1/4 cup of milk (I used a mixture of whole and non fat)
  • 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons of paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
Topping

  • 1.5 cups of panko bread crumbs
  • 6 tablespoons of butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon of parsley
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Sprinkle your season salt over chicken until completely coated, cook in a little bit of olive oil for about 15 minutes (or until cooked through)
  3. Once chicken is cooked layer on the bottom of a casserole dish
  4. Top your chicken with diced ham
  5. Layer cheese on top of ham
  6. In a large pan melt 4 tablespoons of butter.
  7. Once butter is melted add your flour, stir constantly till all butter is soaked up
  8. Slowly add your milk and continue to mix until smooth.
  9. Add your mustard, paprika and pepper and let sit for about 5-10 minutes (stirring occasionally)
  10. In a large bowl melt 6 tablespoons of butter in the microwave (about 1 minute)
  11. Once butter is melted add your breadcrumbs, garlic powder and and parsley and mix well.
  12. Once your sauce is thickened pour on top of cheese (make sure to spread evenly through pan)
  13. Top with your breadcrumb mixture
  14. Cook for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and panko crumbs are a golden brown
  15. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve!
Final Product



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love anyones feed back!!