Monday, April 15, 2013

Oven Baked Avocado Fries

I need to start this post off right away with OH MY GOD.  This has got to be my favorite appetizer I have made yet, and it was simple too.  I know a lot of people think avocados and think eww mushy green things... I will be honest I thought that for the LONGEST time (I would not even touch guacamole.)  One of the girls I work with always brings salads in and the one day she had an avocado.  She asked if I wanted to try it and I thought why not.  Let me just tell you...I fell in love.  I was craving avocados and started to search for recipes.  I came across a recipe for oven baked avocado fries and knew I had to get cooking.  I made these for me and my roommate as an appetizer (she also never ate an avocado before.)  I will just tell you that there was not a single one left on the plate when we were done.

 If you never had avocados before go by them...NOW and make this recipe, you won't be sorry.  I am going to attach a very helpful link on how to peel avocados because that is the trickiest part.  Another little helpful hint is a avocado is perfect for eating/cooking when it is soft not hard!

How to peel and cut an avocado- Simply Recipes


Serves:It would probably serve about 4 people for an appetizer
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time:25 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
What I would do different:  I would probably make some sort of dipping sauce with it.
Recipe adapted from: The Kitchen Whisperer

Ingredients

  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1/4 cup  of whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
  • 3/4 teaspoon of cumin
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tablespoon of water
  • 1 1/2 cups of seasoned panko breadcrumbs (panko is a must don't try and use regular breadcrumbs)
  • Olive Oil Spray
Directions
 
  1. Preheat oven to 450 F.
  2. Line a baking sheet with foil
  3. Cut your avocado into slices and peel (use the link above if you need help)



  1. In a medium sized bowl, place your flour, salt, pepper, garlic, 1/2 tsp paprika, cayenne and cumin and mix well
  2. In  another medium bowl add your egg whites and water, whisk well.
  3. In another medium sized bowl, add your panko crumbs and 1/4 tsp paprika, and mix.

  1. Place one slice in the flour, and make sure slice is completely coated.
  2. Then place your slice in the egg whites, make sure to coat completely.
  3. Lastly place your slice in the panko mixture and coat completely.
  4. Place your slice on the baking sheet, and continue the steps above until all slices are coated.and repeat until all the slices are coated
  5. Spray  all your slices with olive oil cooking spray.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes, and then turn each slice over, and spray again with cooking spray
  7. Continue to bake for 8-10 minutes or until  golden brown
  8. Serve with sour cream if you would like!
Final Product

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would really love anyones feed back!!