If you never had avocados before go by them...NOW and make this recipe, you won't be sorry. I am going to attach a very helpful link on how to peel avocados because that is the trickiest part. Another little helpful hint is a avocado is perfect for eating/cooking when it is soft not hard!
How to peel and cut an avocado- Simply Recipes
Serves:It would probably serve about 4 people for an appetizer
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time:25 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
What I would do different: I would probably make some sort of dipping sauce with it.
Recipe adapted from: The Kitchen Whisperer
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 1/2 cups of seasoned panko breadcrumbs (panko is a must don't try and use regular breadcrumbs)
- Olive Oil Spray
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Line a baking sheet with foil
- Cut your avocado into slices and peel (use the link above if you need help)
- In a medium sized bowl, place your flour, salt, pepper, garlic, 1/2 tsp paprika, cayenne and cumin and mix well
- In another medium bowl add your egg whites and water, whisk well.
- In another medium sized bowl, add your panko crumbs and 1/4 tsp paprika, and mix.
- Place one slice in the flour, and make sure slice is completely coated.
- Then place your slice in the egg whites, make sure to coat completely.
- Lastly place your slice in the panko mixture and coat completely.
- Place your slice on the baking sheet, and continue the steps above until all slices are coated.and repeat until all the slices are coated
- Spray all your slices with olive oil cooking spray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then turn each slice over, and spray again with cooking spray
- Continue to bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve with sour cream if you would like!