Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Weight Watchers Chinese Food (General Tsos and Fried Rice)

I need to start off with saying this is the most exciting thing I have ever made, and the recipe I am most proud of successfully making.  I absolutely love Chinese food, and if you give me a choice for take-out I will always pick Chinese.  My all time favorite is fried rice, I don't think I have ever got Chinese without getting fried rice.  I know that Chinese is not the best for you because it is super high in sodium, and they fry a lot of their food.  I am really trying to eat better, and make substitutes wherever possible.  I looked online for weight watchers Chinese recipes and came across recipes for fried rice and general tsos chicken.  I have to say this tasted just like something I would get from a Chinese store, only so much better for you. 

The general tsos chicken is about 4 points for 1/2 cup (It may not seem like a lot but with the rice it was very filling)  The fried rice is 4 points for 1 cup of rice.

Prep and cook time: 40 minutes total
Serving: This would serve about 4 people
Things I would different next time: The only thing I would do differently is I would add some chopped onions to the rice.
Recipe adapted from:    Rice Weight Watchers    Chicken: Food.com

Ingredients

Chicken
  • 3/4 cups of reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons of canola oil
  • 2 scallions chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
Rice

  • Olive oil cooking spray
  • 3 large egg whites
  • 4 scallions chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 10 baby carrots chopped
  • 3/4 cup of frozen peas (thawed)
  • 2 cups of instant uncooked brown rice
  •  2.5 tablespoons of low sodium soy sauce 
Directions

Chicken

  1. In a bowl add your chicken broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger.  Whisk together.



  1. Heat your oil in a large skillet on medium high heat.  Add your scallions, garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for two minutes.


  1. Add your chicken and cook till your chicken is browned (about 10 minutes)
  2. Whisk your sauce one more time and add to chicken. 
  3. Cook till sauce thicken (about 2-3 minutes)

  1. Place a lid to keep chicken warm, and begin your rice.
Rice

  1. Place 2 cups of instant brown rice in a microwave safe bowl,and microwave according to directions.
  2. In a large greased skillet add your egg whites and cook for about 3-5 minutes until fully cooked and scrambled. Remove from pan and set aside.
  3. Respray your skillet and add your scallions and garlic, saute for 2 minutes.
  4. Add your carrots, and peas and saute for 5-10 minutes till carrots are tender.


  1. Add your rice to the mixture and add your soy sauce.
  2. Mix well and serve.
Final Product

2 comments:

  1. Merci pour tout!! Ton site est super et surtout tous tes bons conseils!


    Also visit my site - Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Eva I will be sure to check out your site!

    ReplyDelete

I would really love anyones feed back!!